Sunday, July 24, 2022

Cage Cleaning

 I have found that cage cleaning is not my favorite thing to do with the buns but it needs to be done to keep them healthy and happy.  Here are a few things I do that help make this chore easier.

Our rabbits are litter box trained.  May not seem like a big thing but the hutches are in the house during summer and having them box trained helps contain their mess overall.  I use stainless steel boxes with a wire platform to keep the buns up out of the poop.  They are actually cat boxes but the rabbits don't know that.  


Training them wasn't hard but may not be for you if your rabbits live outside all year round.  I have their food crocks in their litter box so they have to hop inside to eat.  Since rabbits tend to poop while they eat this makes sense.  I also have their hay feeders hanging over the litter box to force them to hop in to munch.  I do have one buck who will poop in his box but not pee so I use puppy pads in the trays so it catches the urine.

White vinegar is my favorite for cleaning around the animals.  It will remove the urine build up in the litter boxes (cat and bunny) without scrubbing!  I cover the bottom of the box and let it sit and when I rinse it out the build up is gone or will flake off easily.  

I also use vinegar in a spray bottle to clean the trays and the walls of the hutches.  I spray scrub with a soft brush and spray again.  If there is urine it will bubble up a bit and I will work harder to clean that spot.  

Clean cages means happy bunnies!

Keep your feet dry. Wear your rain boots.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Making a Rabbit Litter Box

It is time to replace the grates in my bunnies' litter boxes.   When I started litter box training my buns I just used plastic boxes wit...