Sunday, June 26, 2022

Welcome, Miss Katie Kat!

 Our newest doe to our small herd is Miss Katie Kat. She is a sweet little girl who shares traits with both her mother (dam) and her father (sire). Katie is a mixed breed made up of 7/8 Rex and 1/8 New Zealand. Her mother is our very own Honey Bun, a sweet large 3/4 Rex harlequin coated doe. Her father is Blu Boy, one of our in house Rex bucks. Blu is a beautiful broken blue butterfly Rex who is gentle and all about his girl, Honey. He prefers her to the other does in the barn and their kits have been great as pets.

Katie does not have the Rex velvet coat but she also does not have the New Zealand fur type like her mother. It is shorter and softer but not plush like the Rex. It is a lovely dove gray that looks like it could be lilac. Her markings are like the otter Rex rabbits our other doe, Bonnie, kindled that were also sired by Blu Boy.


Originally, Katie was not on the short list of does to stay. She was the sweetest and friendliest but because she did not get the full Rex coat or exotic coloring or markings I didn’t want to keep her. But when it came to making my final choice on which would stay and which would move to their new homes Katie had grown on me and we had a bond. She trusted me and was always the first to greet me even when I didn’t have treats or food.


I am excited to see what colors and patterns she throws when bred!


I will keep you all updated and keep your feet dry- wear your rain boots!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Making a Rabbit Litter Box

It is time to replace the grates in my bunnies' litter boxes.   When I started litter box training my buns I just used plastic boxes wit...